Richard S. Humphrey has been trying civil and criminal cases since 1983. Richard is admitted to practice in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Maine. His practice concentrates on Criminal and Civil Litigation, focusing on serious drunk driving cases, complex admiralty matters, construction litigation, municipal law, catastrophic injury claims, and areas involving professional ethics for the Law Office of Richard S. Humphrey.
Richard has well over 30 years of trial experience in the State and Federal Courts and has obtained a number of favorable verdicts. Richard handles appellate matters and has received a number of favorable decisions.
Richard often times represents individuals in need of first class legal services. He also represents charitable institutions, municipalities, and large constructions firms.
Richard lectures on trial practice, ethics, police brutality, legal malpractice, defense, DUI, and municipal matters.
Richard has served on the Rhode Island Judicial Tenure Commission, the Rhode Island Supreme Court Commission to Redraft the Rules of Professional Conduct, and on the Rhode Island Supreme Court Disciplinary Board.
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Foundation-Fellow
Richard has published at least 14 Bar Review articles and has recently served as Editor of the book styled Trying DUI Cases in Rhode Island.
- Rhode Island Super Lawyer 2008- Present
- DUI/Criminal Defense
- Construction Litigation
- Municipal Litigation
- Charitable Institutions
- Professional Liability & Ethics
- Rhode Island, 1983
- Massachusetts, 1990
- Maine, 1993
- US District Court, District of Rhode Island, 1984
- US District Court, District of Massachusetts, 1991
- US District Court, District of Maine, 1993
- US Supreme Court, 1987
- Franklin Pierce Law Center/University of New Hampshire, Juris Doctor
- Connecticut College, Bachelor of Arts
- State v. Carcieri, 730 A.2d 11 (R.I. 1999).
- State v. Cluley, 808 A.2d 1098 (R.I. 2002).
- Such v. State, 950 A.2d 1150 (R.I. 2008).
- State v. Robinson, 972 A.2d 150 (R.I. 2009). (6 consolidated cases).
- State v. Quattrucci, 39 A.3d 1036 (R.I. 2012).
- State v. Sampson, No. 12-285-M.P. (R.I., filed Apr. 18, 2013).
- State v. Sarhan, No. 12-311-M.P. (R.I., filed Apr. 18, 2013).
- H.R.M., Inc. v. S/V Venture VII, 972 F. Supp. 92 (D.R.I. 1997).
Catastrophic Injury. Asermely Counsel
- Rodrigues v. DePasquale Bldg. & Realty Co. , 926 A.2d 616, 617 (R.I. 2007).
- French v. Isham, 801 F. Supp. 913, 914 (D.R.I. 1992).
- Piccoli & Sons, Inc. v. E & C Const. Co., Inc. , 64 A.3d 308, 309 (R.I. 2013).
- Newport Auto Salvage, Inc v. Town Council, 502 A.2d 339 (R.I. 1985).
- Intern. Broth. Police v. Town of Portsmouth, 506 A.2d 540 (R.I. 1986).
- In re Town of Little Compton, 37 A.3d 85 (R.I. 2012).