A Premiere Rhode Island Law Firm
Richard S. Humphrey
- DUI Defense
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury
- Admiralty Law
- Legal Malpractice
- Construction Law
- Medical Malpractice
- Professional Discipline
The ability to successfully try and win cases is one of the most essential assets I bring to my job. From achieving large financial settlements for our clients to winning Supreme Court cases, I have been trying civil and criminal cases in State and Federal courts since 1983. Through my extensive experience, I understand the stress that my clients are under. That's why, when it comes to providing quality representation, my clients' needs always come first.
During my thirty-year career, I have fought hard to obtained favorable verdicts for my clients. During this time I have represented the town of Little Compton and am particularly proud to have represented the Salvation Army in complex litigation matters. I represent individuals in need of first-class legal services as well as charitable institutions, municipalities, and large construction firms.
As well as being an experienced trial lawyer I also lecture on trial practice, ethics, police brutality, legal malpractice, defense, DUI, and municipal matters. Community is an important part of why I serve - I have served on the Rhode Island Judicial Tenure Commission, the Rhode Island Supreme Court Commission to Redraft the Rules of Professional Conduct, and on the Rhode Island Supreme Court Disciplinary Board.
- Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, New Hampshire
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1983
- Connecticut College, New London, Connecticut
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 00/1980
- Rhode Island Bar Association, 1984
- Rhode Island Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Richard has published at least 14 Bar Review articles and has recently served as Editor of the book styled Trying DUI Cases in Rhode Island.
- Rhode Island Super Lawyer 2008 - Present
- Rhode Island, 1983
- Massachusetts, 1990
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1984
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island, 1984
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1991
- Maine, 1993
- U.S. District Court District of Maine, 1993
- G. Lopes Construction, Inc.
- J.G. Edwards Construction Company
- Tiverton & Little Compton Mutual Fire Insurance Co.
- Town of Little Compton
- International Broth. of Police Officers, Local No. 302 v. Town of Portsmouth, 506 A.2d 540, 1986, R.I., 1986114425
- Newport Auto Salvage, Inc. v. Town Council of Town of Portsmouth Acting as Bd. of License Com'rs, 502 A.2d 339, 1985, R.I., 1985162541
- G. Lopes Construction, Inc., 565 Winthrop St., Taunton, MA 02780
- J.G. Edwards Construction Co., P.O. Box 274, Portsmouth, RI 02871
- H.W. Ellis, Inc., 21 Lark Industrial Pkwy., Smithfield, RI 02828
- Jane P. Cabot, Pres., Little Compton Town Council, Little Compton, RI